Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Unloved by The New Yorker Cartoon Judges

I’ve been eyeing the New Yorker cartoon contests in the back of the physical magazine for a while now (that magazine and the Atlantic being the only nonelectronic media I still susbcribe to).

I took the plunge the other week, and entered a quip online. I thought I had a good chance. One of the finalists had the same idea that I did, with different wording.

Here’s my non-finalist caption to the cartoon of the angel flying into heaven clutching a hibachi, with golf clubs on his shoulder, and a second angel says to a third:

“I see the guys from Scarsdale are still allowed to take it with them.”

Go here to vote for one of the finalists. It’s a weekly contest—so I’ve got other chances for New Yorker fame.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good line, MA. I actually liked yours better. How fun. Keep trying!

Kevin Wolf said...

Ah, yes, I saw that and the similar caption that made it into the final three.

You've made the mistake of mentioning Scarsdale. This implies that the New Yorker is first and formost written for and about New York City and the surrounding area. That hasn't been true since 1973.

Brando said...

For a while, I was keeping track of how many New Yorker cartoons I found funny. Their batting average for the four issues I did it was something like .225. They tend to try to hard in the regular cartoons, which is why I like the caption contest so much.

Good line for yours, too.

Anonymous said...

I liked that you put "Scarsdale" in your line. I thought it made it better -- stronger. I liked the "only *certain* people are able to take it with them" feel to it.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

:)

Mapeel said...

KW--did something specific happen in 1973 that created this shift in the New Yorker's consciousness?

I remember a cartoon about 10 years ago that referenced Larchmont (I had friends who had just moved there, which is why I remember it), which I think is less recognizeable than the site of the diet and poor Dr. Tarnower.